Annapolis Pest Control Provides Superior Termite Treatment
Annapolis Pest Control is your trusted termite treatment specialist in Annapolis, MD. We have the requisite experience to treat termite infestations of any severity, in commercial or residential properties. Termites can cause extensive damage to your building and often begin their destruction long before you even realize they are there. Our skilled team can visit your home or office to perform a thorough inspection and determine the extent of your problem. Armed with the awareness of how widespread your infestation is and what areas are affected, we will devise a treatment plan to rid your property of termites and keep them at bay for years to come. We have compiled answers to some of the questions our team frequently receives so that you can better understand how to spot termites and ways to prevent them.
How Do I Prevent Termites?
Termites cause billions of dollars’ worth of damage to homes and commercial properties every year. Once they enter your home in Annapolis, MD and establish a colony, they are difficult to detect and even harder to eradicate. They could be chewing through your wood, flooring, and walls without your knowledge. Rather than deal with the headache of getting rid of them, it is prudent to prevent them altogether. The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) has outlined a list of tips to protect your property from termites, including:
- Eliminate moisture in or near your home because termites thrive in moist environments
- Repair soffits and rotting roof shingles
- Fix any leaking faucets, water pipes, or exterior air conditioning units
- Replace weather-stripping and loose mortar near your foundation and windows
- Divert water away from your residential or commercial property
- Inspect your foundation for mud tubes, through which termites travel to a food source
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between wood portions of your home and soil
- Monitor exterior wood for noticeable changes that could be early signs of a termite infestation
- Keep firewood no less than 20 feet away from your house
- Schedule an annual inspection with Annapolis Pest Control
How Do I Know if I Have Termites?
Unfortunately, even if you take all the necessary precautions, you may be vulnerable to termite infestations. If that happens, early detection is crucial to limiting damage and preventing massive termite colonies in your Annapolis, MD property. Among the signs of a termite presence are:
- Mud tubes – Early indications of termites are mud tubes at the junction between your house and the ground. Termites use these pencil-sized openings as shelter and protection as they travel between their living areas in the ground and their food source. Mud tubes are often present near concrete walls and cracks in your flooring.
- Blisters in wood flooring – Areas in your wood flooring that resemble water damage could indicate termites are feeding below the surface.
- Damaged wood – Hollowed wood below and behind surfaces such as walls and floors is a telltale sign of termites. The pests may leave behind a honeycomb interior that creates structural damage.
- Discarded wings – Evidence of termites can be found near closed windows, doors, and access points in the form of discarded wings. When termites form a colony, they shed their wings.
- Frass – Termites like to keep their galleries and living spaces clean, so they remove all excrement. Termite droppings are basically wood pellets that may look like sawdust or coffee grounds.
- Clicking sounds – Noises from inside your walls that sound like constant clicking may signal the need for an inspection from Annapolis Pest Control.
How Do I Get Rid of Termites?
After you call Annapolis Pest Control in Annapolis, MD to confirm your suspicion of a termite infestation, you should get rid of the insects before they cause further damage. Our team of specialists must first determine which type of termites you have in or near your property. Ridding your home or office of subterranean termites requires a different approach than drywood termites.
This type of termite lives in the soil and enters your property from below, necessitating additional treatment outside your structure. Annapolis Pest Control can use a conventional termite treatment or a baiting and monitoring strategy. The conventional treatment involves applying a liquid termiticide in the soil around your perimeter, ultimately killing the insects. For baiting and monitoring, we will deploy bait stations near affected areas. It is advisable to keep these stations in place even after the infestation subsides for long-term protection
Drywood termites live directly inside the wood in your commercial or residential property. Our team will use fumigation or spot treatment services to remove them from your home. Fumigation is the preferred method because it will eliminate termites entirely. However, you will need to be away from your home for multiple days during the process. Spot treatment is less invasive. Our technicians will drill into the affected areas and apply termite treatments where colonies live.
How Long Does Termite Treatment Last?
The lasting effects of termite treatments vary. Liquid treatments and termiticides will protect your home from infestation for an average of five years. But baiting stations require continual maintenance and typically only remain effective for a few months before needing to be replaced. Fumigation will rid your home completely of the insects, meaning you need only endeavor to prevent future infestations.
Contact Annapolis Pest Control for Termite Treatment Today
Annapolis Pest Control is the leading termite expert in Annapolis MD. We will gladly help you protect your home or commercial property from infestations. But if the sneaky insects do establish colonies in your building, we can provide termite treatment strategies to get rid of them and protect your property. Call us at (410) 590-7996 today to learn more or schedule a free inspection.